Girl Pic

daisy dreaming....

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Glitter Reindeer

Hello December!!!! This Christmas, I wanted to jazz up my mantle a bit. I knew I wanted a reindeer and I knew I wanted glitter. I was surprised how easy this was and I'm so happy with how it turned out!


Trust me when I tell you this was SO easy. First up, head to your local craft store and get a canvas. The one I got is a 9x12. I then Googled "reindeer head silhouette" and went to the Images. I chose this one, but there were several other great ones to choose from. I contemplated doing a profile or a full reindeer, but ended up really liking the one I chose. I copied the image and blew it up, printed it out, then cut it out.

I then taped the reindeer to the canvas then used a pencil to trace the outline onto the canvas. Next up was Elmer's glue. You may want to grab a q-tip to help spread the glue. Be sure not to use too much glue, or it will make the outline bleed. Then it's the fun part....pile on the glitter!

Let it sit like this for awhile, then lightly dust off all the excess glitter. Use a tooth pick to help re-define the outline. I did this several times, as it took a good couple hours to dry.

Here she is in all her gold glory! I think this would be adorable in the shape of a tree, snowman, snowflakes, etc. Stay tuned for more Christmas crafts!

17 comments:

Heather said...

I found this on pinterest and i am in love with this fabulous and oh so cute Christmas craft!! I will be trying this out. Thanks!!!

http://www.craftycagirl.blogspot.com
-Heather

Kristin @ bliss-athome.com said...

Kelsey, I found this project through Pinterest and I am smitten with it! I just did it on my blog and linked back to you. Thanks so much for the inspiration! Great idea ;) xo Kristin
http://bliss-athome.com/2012/10/09/glitter-reindeer-art/

Carrie Rowe said...

This is super cute! Thanks for sharing. I am planning on making this, I pinned it, and I'm blogging about it soon (obviously giving you credit). So awesome!

KelseyB said...

Did you spray anything over the top to reduce the amount of glitter coming off? Just curious what your thoughts are on spraying a light coat of spray acrylic??? I am going to do this with the kids! Thanks for the great idea!

~~ KElsey skbumsted@southslope.net

daisy dreaming said...

Thanks everyone! KelseyB - I did use a thin layer of hairspray to keep the glitter from flaking off. Hope that helps!

Anonymous said...

I just made this with silver glitter and it is so so so cute:)

Ady Wright said...

New reader here. I LOVE THIS. I mean my blog is When in Doubt Just Add Glitter... so obvi i'm in love!!! I'm so trying it. Thanks for sharing! And no luck taking this down.. I think this is a year round piece! <3

smk053078 said...

I too found you on Pinterest! I am doing the tutorial tomorrow on my blog and linking back to you!!! Thanks for the inspiration!!

Heidi Rew said...

Kelsey...I just made your glittered reindeer and it turned out PERFECTLY...until I got impatient and wanted to hang it up . Now, it's in serious need of botox! ;p http://partiesforpennies.com/2012/12/christmas-decorating-ideas/ If you want a laugh, check it out. ;p Thanks for the great idea!

Jennifer said...

I made one, and LOVE how it turned out! I did a few things a little differently, and did a little tutorial:

http://www.millermusingsblog.com/2012/12/diy-glittery-reindeer-canvas.html

Thanks for the GREAT project idea!

Whitney Starksen said...

Loved this idea! Who doesn't love glitter and how lovely it looks in the soft glow of Christmas lights? I made one too and linked to your post here http://bit.ly/X52CKn

Whitney Starksen said...

oops! wrong link posted in my last comment! here is the correct one http://bit.ly/TAkm0t

Bethany@http://thislittleestate.blogspot.ca/ said...

I really do love this! HAD to comment! So awesome, cant wait to add this to my new gallery wall.

Bethany

Tracy Robert said...

Thank you for this tutorial! I used it to make mine (but on a burlap canvas)!

http://www.homesweetfirsthome.com/2013/12/oh-deer-glitter-reindeer-canvas-diy.html

Mamarens said...

Funny!

Mamarens said...

oh this looks so nice and easy: I'm gonna try!

Anonymous said...

I love this! But do realize that this is A White tail buck.. the antlers are different for a reindeer but anyway I really plan on doing this, only adding chevron in the back ground and the date that I got my first buck while hunting. This looks so cool and thanks for sharing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...